...is to miss its wider scope and to limit its provocative potential.

mohsen.amiri

persian
Hello
'the Wrong Man' is a movie about an innocent man which is accused as a robber. This film shows mistakes of judicial system. Here is a line of a critique about the film:
'To view The Wrong Man primarily as the condemnation of a harsh and impersonal judicial system is to miss its wider scope and to limit its provocative potential.'
I can not comprehend the meaning of the phrase, especially Bold. What does this phrase want to say? Please explain bold sentence completely.
Source: The Wrong Man (the movie)
Mohsen

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    'To view The Wrong Man primarily as the condemnation of a harsh and impersonal judicial system is to miss its wider scope and to limit its provocative potential.'

‘[If you understand the message of] The Wrong Man primarily as the condemnation of a harsh and impersonal judicial system [then you will] miss [not understand] its wider scope and [you will be restricted in your understanding of] its provocative potential.'

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Its wider scope - the film is entertaining and is about the psychology of the man accused and how he and his wife deal with the situation.

Its provocative potential - we, the audience, are provoked by the obvious innocence and humility and honesty of the Henry Fonda character, and the way he is damaged both personally and in his marriage makes any moderately sensitive person very angry.

mohsen.amiri

persian
    PaulQ & Thomas Tompson
    In spite of your explanation, I can not comprehend the concept of 'is to miss its wider scope and to limit its provocative potential'. Would you explain more in another way?
    Thank you very much in advance.
    Mohsen

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    To miss - to fail to notice.

A: "Look! There! Above the houses! An eagle!"
    B: "Where? I can't see it."
    A: "It's flying towards the mosque!... Oh... I can't see it now... it is out of sight.
    B: "I did not see it - I missed it.

Scope: the extent or range.

A: "His lecture had a wide scope. He spoke on every subject: housing, the economy, justice, health, and many more."

To limit: to restrain; to hold back;

provocative potential - the ability to provoke something