is unmarried vs has not got married

sanya2013

Chinese
"is unmarried" vs "has not got married"

Jason is unmarried. Jason has not got married. Both the two sentences describe Jason's marital status. Could you please tell me what's the difference between them?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • e2efour

UK English
    The sentence Jason has not got married is rather unclear without any context. In what situation would you want to say this?
    It is not a simple description of his marital status.

sdgraham

USA English
    Jason is unmarried. Jason has not got married. Both the two sentences describe Jason's marital status. Could you please tell me what's the difference between them?
    One difference is that the first is perfect and the second is wordy and sounds uneducated and sloppy.

Either way, Jason has no spouse.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Jason is unmarried. Jason gets married. Jason gets divorced. Jason is again unmarried, even though he has gotten married.

In AE, we would be much more likely to say "single" than "unmarried."

sanya2013

Chinese
    e2efour, there is no context. What I simply want to know is the difference between the two usages. Thank you for your reply.

gramman

One way to deal with the issue raised by RM1(SS) is to distinguish between people who are single (currently unmarried) and those who have never been married. This is a common usage in demographic analyses.

< Previous | Next >