Is walking a sport?

kachibi

Chinese
We can use "exercise" to refer to walking or a walkathon.

But do native speakers accept "sport" as well?

• dojibear

US English
    A marathon is a 42 km race. It is definitely a competition. It is a sport. Running is a sport. There are short races (100 meter dash) and longer races. The longest race is a marathon.

dojibear

US English
    A "walkathon" is a charity event. It raises money (donations) for the charity. It is not a competition. People do not try to get there first. A walkathon has has a planned route -- for example, 5 km long. The goal is for everyone to walk all 5 km.

Each person that walks this route has gotten friends to pledge money. Basically each friend agrees "If you walk 5 km, I will pay $20 to the charity". So if you get 5 friends to agree, and then you walk the 5 km walkathon, the charity gets $100. If 20 people each do this, the charity gets $2,000.

Le Gallois bilingue

English (U.K.)
    A "walkathon" is a charity event. It raises money (donations) for the charity. It is not a competition. People do not try to get there first. A walkathon has has a planned route -- for example, 5 km long. The goal is for everyone to walk all 5 km.

Each person that walks this route has gotten friends to pledge money. Basically each friend agrees "If you walk 5 km, I will pay $20 to the charity". So if you get 5 friends to agree, and then you walk the 5 km walkathon, the charity gets $100. If 20 people each do this, the charity gets $2,000.
    Not in the U.K. We talk about sponsored walks or sponsored runs.

sdgraham

USA English
    No, walking isn't a sport. A "sport" is a competition.
    Except for skiing, fishing, hunting, skydiving, etc. :rolleyes:

For example:
    WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2021
    sport•fish•ing (spôrtfish′ing),
    1. Sport n. fishing with a rod and reel for sport, esp. for saltwater sport fish from a motorboat.
    See, for example: callanetics [a sport?]

"Sport" (like "beauty") seems to be in the eye of the beholder and resists a rigid definition.
    "Walking" doesn't fit my concept of a sport.

As a side note: I formerly represented my company on an international organization for news organizations (IPTC - the global standards body of the news media) where we once spent many hours going 'round and 'round trying to establish which activities were considered sports and which were not.

We really got hung up on bullfighting. :rolleyes:

Good luck :)

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I think walking (and fast walking [which has nothing to do with walking on an empty stomach] and jogging) are exercise (I wouldn't use the plural "exercises" here; to me, this represents calisthenics, isometrics, etc. or scholastic practice) or activities, except for race walking (an Olympic event).