Is Wendy a woman's or a man's name?

< Previous | Next >
  • Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    No, I'm sorry to have misled you.
    There had to be a first person to bear the name Wendy.
    Wendy's is quite a recently coined name, I think.
    I was asking whether the first person to have born the name Wendy, was the character Wendy Darling from the book Perter Pan. (it doesn't matter. Wendy's still a girl's name, potentially deriving from Gwendolen.)

waltern

English - USA
    No, Beryl from Northallerton is asking if the name "Wendy" originated with the character named "Wendy Darling" from Peter Pan.

The wikipedia article on the Wendy Darling character states:

"The first name Wendy was very uncommon in the Anglosphere before J. M. Barrie's work and its subsequent popularity has led some to credit him with "inventing" it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Darling

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    "The first name Wendy was very uncommon in the Anglosphere before J. M. Barrie's work and its subsequent popularity has led some to credit him with "inventing" it."
    Thanks for fishing that out, waltern. (I think that Wednesday was a character in The Addams Family)

Last edited:

danusia

Polish
    Thanks. So I have learned more than I originally asked about. Yes, Peter Pan is quite well known book or play, whatever, but I haven't read it so didn't have any idea what Beryl was talking about.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Patrick Hans and Flavia Hodges (Oxford Dictionary of First Names) confirm what Beryl has said:
    Wendy (feminine) English: invented by J. M. Barrie for the 'little mother' in his play Peter Pan (1904). He took it from the nickname Fwendy-Wendy (ie 'friend') used for him by a child acquaintance, Margarent Henley. It has achieved widespread popularity in its short lifespan.
    So, interestingly, it was part of Barrie's own nickname!

< Previous | Next >