is yet to be

< Previous | Next >

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi, everyone:

AAA did not make any threat in the portions of the recording aired by Jazeera. The full tape is yet to be released by an Islamist Web site.

I wonder if "is yet to be" means "is going to be"(has not yet) or "is even expected to be"(surprising tone) in this context.

Best wishes

• Blues Piano Man

USA English
    Hi, everyone:

AAA did not make any threat in the portions of the recording aired by Jazeera. The full tape is yet to be released by an Islamist Web site.

I wonder if "is yet to be" means "is going to be"(has not yet) or "is even expected to be"(surprising tone) in this context.

Best wishes
    My thoughts are very close to yours on this, hly.

I think "...is yet to be released" indicates some degree of probability that it will be. It is more likely to be released than if the statement was, "...has yet to be released."

Consider this possible scenario:

Today it is announced that the full tape "is yet to be released." - It has not been released yet, and up to now we did not expect it to be. We now expect it to be released -- for example, within a week.

Two weeks later, the tape has not been released. Another announcement is made saying, the full tape "has yet to be released." - it was not released as soon as expected. It is now less probable that it will be released soon, if at all.

The difference is present tense vs. past tense.

Does that make sense?

Blues :)

< Previous | Next >