Is zero points always plural ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebushtucker

French
Hello everyone,

I have checked on many english website, but I always find "zero points" with a -S at the end !
What do we say "zero point" or "zero points" ?

Thank you for your answer(s)

• I think "zero anything" takes plural.

These all sound right to me:

The winning team had one point.
    The losing team had zero points.
    I have one dollar. If I spend it, I'll have zero dollars.

We don't use this construction very often because it is more natural to say "no points" or "no money."

johndot

English - England
    When you use decimals you are referring to the number of points (even when it’s one or less), but when you use fractions you refer to the fraction of a point (even when it’s more than one).

nought point one points, but
    one-and-one-tenth of a point

Last edited:

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    But even when using whole numbers (0, 1, 2...) you are referring to the number of points. So why 1 point but 1.0 points?

johndot

English - England
    Sorry about the typo, Embokias! I got carried away with my esses and my eth’s! I made the correction when I spotted it.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Everyone gets lots of points for the fascinating digressions. Would anyone care to comment further on the question in the first post? Points will be awarded.

Forero

USA English
    As a noun phrase, it's always "zero points" and never "zero point". However, if "zero-point" is used to modify something else, it has a hyphen and no s.

"One and a half points" but "a point and a half" and "a one-and-a-half-point margin", "One and a tenth points" but "a point and a tenth" and "a one-and-a-tenth-point margin".

johndot

English - England
    I would say, yes, ‘zero points’ is always plural—except when it’s an adjective (in which case it would be hyphenated: a zero-point score).

Edit: And I get no points for being pipped at the post by Forero!

Last edited:

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    There come a point at which, the thread question having been answered pointedly, the thread needs to rest. Anyone with additional information directly pertaining to the thread question in the first post is invited to contact a moderator. The thread will be reopened to receive pertinent additions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >