ish!

estudiantesidem

peru castellano
hi everyone!
i have this kind of doubt about "ish".
I was watching "American Idol" when suddenly Simon asked Danny Noriega this :...Do you agree with me?
and then Danny said: ish...
So, according to the context i would say that ish means kinda or sorta, but as i said i'm not sure about it. Another thing, i would like to use this word so, could you give me more examples, please? and the meaning in spanish would be : más o menos...¿?
thanks in advance!

• Dlyons

English - Ireland
    hi everyone!
    i have this kind of doubt about "ish".
    I was watching "American Idol" when suddenly Simon asked Danny Noriega this :...Do you agree with me?
    and then Danny said: ish...
    So, according to the context i would say that ish means kinda or sorta, but as i said i'm not sure about it. Another thing, i would like to use this word so, could you give me more examples, please? and the meaning in spanish would be : más o menos...¿?
    thanks in advance!
    De acuerdo contigo.

"ish" could mean anything from agreeing mostly but not entirely with a person, right up to disagreeing completely with them. It depends on how it is said. It is very informal and mostly used when you don't want to express disagreement very quickly or strongly.

Q. Do you think his girlfriend is beautiful?
    A. ish! (i.e. not really)

A more formal reply would be "up to a point"

ari25

U.S. English
    That's right. It's used more often (at least where I'm from) on the end of a word. For example, the shirt is a bluish color, meaning it's kind of blue, but maybe a little red or yellow in there too. Or, what time will you get here? 7ish. Meaning about 7:00. Since you asked for examples... :)

bionita

españa, spanish
    That's right. It's used more often (at least where I'm from) on the end of a word. For example, the shirt is a bluish color, meaning it's kind of blue, but maybe a little red or yellow in there too. Or, what time will you get here? 7ish. Meaning about 7:00. Since you asked for examples... :)

thank you!

i had a doubt with a text about a meeting, but now I know what "about 6 ish" means!

< Previous | Next >