Ismersz/ismered

pacákutí

Dutch
I have another sentence from a song, so I assume it's correct, but with my beginner logic it doesn't make sense.

Mondjam a nevem vagy már ismersz?

I'd translate it as "Shall I say my name, or do you already know it?"
But if I wanted to say that, I would turn ismersz into ismered:
Mondjam a nevem, vagy már ismered?
I mean he isn't just talking about some name but he is specific about it: my name. And he does use the definite tense in the first word mondjam.

Also I know it is correct to say for example 'mondd a nevem', but I wonder why not 'nevemet'?
In my language that would make sense because nevem is the object.

• Torontal

Hungarian
    I have another sentence from a song, so I assume it's correct, but with my beginner logic it doesn't make sense.

Mondjam a nevem vagy már ismersz?

I'd translate it as "Shall I say my name, or do you already know it?"
    But if I wanted to say that, I would turn ismersz into ismered:
    Mondjam a nevem, vagy már ismered?
    I mean he isn't just talking about some name but he is specific about it: my name. And he does use the definite tense in the first word mondjam.

Also I know it is correct to say for example 'mondd a nevem', but I wonder why not 'nevemet'?
    In my language that would make sense because nevem is the object.
    Szia!

"Mondjam a nevem vagy már ismersz?"

The sencentence is correct, it means "Shall I say my name, or do you already know me?" (engem) Ismersz here refers to me, not my name. Your alternative suggestion (ismered) is also correct, in that case you refer to my name

Your other question: you are right, nevem is the object here, but for some reason in Hungarian after 1st and 2nd person possessive suffixes (-m, -d) you can drop the "-t", so both nevem and nevemet is accepted.

Another example for illustration: "Keresem a kalapom/kalapod." and "Keresem a kalapomat/kalapodat." (I'm looking for my/your hat) are both correct.

Last edited:

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    The sencentence is correct, it means "Shall I say my name, or do you already know me?" (engem) Ismersz here refers to me, not my name.
    I'd like to add a few examples to help Pacákutí understand that if a transitive verb ending in "-sz" is used without an object, the implied object is always "me":

Szeretsz? - Do you love me?
    Hallasz? - Can you hear me?
    Értesz? - Do you understand me?
    Meghívsz? - Will you invite me?
    Megvársz? - Will you wait for me?

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Yes and no... In some cases even your examples could indicate a Subjective conjugation without an object (or the objects of engem or minket).

E.g. Hallasz? could mean Can you hear? (i.e. Are you capable of hearing? - intransitive usage)

Last edited:

pacákutí

Dutch
    Szia!

"Mondjam a nevem vagy már ismersz?"

The sencentence is correct, it means "Shall I say my name, or do you already know me?" (engem) Ismersz here refers to me, not my name. Your alternative suggestion (ismered) is also correct, in that case you refer to my name

Your other question: you are right, nevem is the object here, but for some reason in Hungarian after 1st and 2nd person possessive suffixes (-m, -d) you can drop the "-t", so both nevem and nevemet is accepted.

Another example for illustration: "Keresem a kalapom/kalapod." and "Keresem a kalapomat/kalapodat." (I'm looking for my/your hat) are both correct.
    Nagyon köszönöm Torontal!

It's really cool to me how you can imply the object by the tense of the verb. I had no idea, but your explanation makes it very clear.

pacákutí

Dutch
    I'd like to add a few examples to help Pacákutí understand that if a transitive verb ending in "-sz" is used without an object, the implied object is always "me":

Szeretsz? - Do you love me?
    Hallasz? - Can you hear me?
    Értesz? - Do you understand me?
    Meghívsz? - Will you invite me?
    Megvársz? - Will you wait for me?
    Thanks for the extra examples Andras!

And if I may ask another thing about this, what about verbs that don't end with "-sz"?
    Would a simple sentence like "Szeret?" work, or would you always have to use "engem" too in those cases because there are too many possibilities otherwise?

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    It's really cool to me how you can imply the object by the tense of the verb.
    "Definite/indefinite" is not a tense, it's a verb conjugation type which exists in all tenses.

And if I may ask another thing about this, what about verbs that don't end with "-sz"?
    Would a simple sentence like "Szeret?" work, or would you always have to use "engem"
    "Szeret" is a 3rd person verb form. If we know who that 3rd person is, it is possible to leave out "engem":

Én szeretem Noémit és ő is szeret (engem).

< Previous | Next >