Isn't "Pussy" a bad word?

saintjohanna

Korean - South
Can the word 'pussy' alone mean something else except for pussycat?

I mean, something different from slang for vagina.

And what if it is with another word? Is there any changes of meaning? i.e. pussy riot

I've got the feeling that it can also mean something like sissy in 'pussy riot?'

(fyi: pussy riot is a russian girl band name.)

Thanks in advance.

• JustKate

As you noted, Saintjohanna, pussy can also refer to "cat," but it's so prevalent as a slang term for "vagina" or "sex" in AmE that the "cat" meaning has pretty much disappeared unless it's modified with "cat," as in "pussy cat." I'm sure the members of Pussy Riot are aware of naughtiness of the name - that's part of its appeal to them.

Last edited:

MirandaEscobedo

British English
    Yes, bad girls + bad word adds up to the image they want to project. Add 'Pussy' to 'Riot' and you get the message of young women being disruptive of the established order and proud of it.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    The "cat" meaning is still pretty much present in BrE (possibly because there are so many other slang terms for 'vagina' that 'pussy' is less prevalent in that context than it is in AmE).

Calling to a cat whose name you don't know, you'd probably say "Here, pussy" or "Here, puss".
    Then there's the well-known pantomime, "Puss in Boots". (Brits are avid pantomime-goers).

Ws:)

JustKate

But Wordsmyth, how then to explain all those "pussy" references in Are You Being Served? ;) Saintjohanna, this was a long-running BBC television show, and one of the running jokes was that one of the main characters was always talking about her cat but referring to it as "my pussy," and all I can say is that it was clear that even to BE speakers, this was funny because while "pussy" can mean "cat," it has other possible meanings as well.

heypresto

English - England
    And then of course, there was the Bond movie Goldfinger character, Pussy Galore ;), so beautifully satirised, or paid homage to, by Mike Myers in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, as Alotta Fagina :eek:

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    But Wordsmyth, how then to explain all those "pussy" references in Are You Being Served? ;) [...]
    OK, Kate, I wasn't suggesting that "pussy" doesn't have the sexual meaning in BrE; only that it's use (perhaps[?] less predominant in BrE than in AmE) hasn't caused the "cat" meaning to disappear — which is perhaps a good thing for comedy-show writers!;)

Ws:)

neal41

USA, English
    But Wordsmyth, how then to explain all those "pussy" references in Are You Being Served? ;) Saintjohanna, this was a long-running BBC television show, and one of the running jokes was that one of the main characters was always talking about her cat but referring to it as "my pussy," and all I can say is that it was clear that even to BE speakers, this was funny because while "pussy" can mean "cat," it has other possible meanings as well.

Mrs. Slocum talked about stroking her pussy. It was funny in America too.

Actually 'pussy' refers to the external sex organs rather than to the vagina.

Last edited: