isolation

cigogne

Persian
Hi,

I wonder if it is right to say "numbers in isolation" to mean numbers without any alphabetic form attached to them.

Thanks!

• Copyright

American English
    My first thought is "numbers alone." It depends on what your instructions are. Could you give us that sentence, please?

cigogne

Persian
    My first thought is "numbers alone." It depends on what your instructions are. Could you give us that sentence, please?
    Sure, here is the sentence.

Since some proper names, prepositions or conjunctions, prefixes, pronouns, and numbers in isolation do not contribute to compose any compound verb, this group of words has been automatically omitted from the nonverbal component list.

Copyright

American English

Since some proper names, prepositions or conjunctions, prefixes, pronouns, and numbers in isolation do not contribute to compose any compound verb, this group of words has been automatically omitted from the nonverbal component list.
    I was hoping some other wise member would respond ... :) Well, just so you have at least one opinion, I would suggest numbers by themselves -- but I tend to speak a simpler form of English than I see in this sentence.

pops91710

English, AE

Since some proper names, prepositions or conjunctions, prefixes, pronouns, and numerals do not contribute to compose any compound verb, this group of words has been automatically omitted from the nonverbal component list.
    Alphabetic characters combined with Arabic numerals are called alphanumerics. I would refrain from using the word numbers and instead use numerals, which is understood to mean numbers alone. (see the change above).

Or, you could say, "Since some proper names, prepositions or conjunctions, prefixes, pronouns, and non-alphanumeric numerals do not contribute to compose any compound verb, this group of words has been automatically omitted from the nonverbal component list." (I do not like this option, personally).

< Previous | Next >