ISP

< Previous | Next >

Garin

Czech - Czechia
Hello, everyone!
In an episode of CSI, the forensic team is looking for a man who just contacted them using middlemen or dead drops. Now it seems he has made a mistake:
Nick: "...he left himself exposed. He left behind a cyber footprint. Greg is working on that ISP right now."
Later on, they arrive to an old gas station in the desert, apparently the hide-out of the man.
Nick: "You sure you found the right place?"
Greg: "ISP traced here."
I always thought that ISP goes for Internet Service Provider but how could tracing a provider be of any help? In my opinion, in this context "IP address" would make more sense. It is quite possible that the scriptwriter was not too familiar with IT technology. What do you think?

• gramman

I figure what's going on here is that the ISP is indeed being traced. IP addresses can be traced to find out where they originate from (the ISP). When the address is dynamic, the ISP can identify the user and provide that information to the police. This usually requires a court order.

Copyright

American English
    I figure "working on that ISP" means they are leaning on the ISP in some way, convincing or coercing the ISP to provide something it shouldn't be providing. As gramman says, it usually requires a court order.

gramman

explanation
    More like an attempt to make sense of the dialogue. I don't like these "cop shows," not that that has any relevance, but I expect the writers/editors get techie things like this right. I agree with The Cat about the likely meaning of "working on the ISP," and it may be that "ISP traced here" should be read as "The ISP traced (the address) here." It certainly seems to be true that things other than ISPs (e.g., addresses, users, emails, routes, servers, problems) are typically traced.

< Previous | Next >