issuance

Diddy

Spanish
Hi forum!!!

Would you please tell me which expression is correct and which one is wrong? If there is wrong(s), please explain me why...

1. The passport issuance;
2. The issuance of the passport;
3. The passport issuing;

Thanks in advance for your help,

• bloomiegirl

US English
    Probably need the complete sentence to say for sure, although I think the last choice sounds odd in any case, because passports do not do the issuing (at least not in normative American English).

Diddy

Spanish
    My attempt for the whole sentence is:

They request the migratory authorities of their Country for the passport issuance /issuance of the passport/...

to use: the passport issuance... is completely wrong?

Thanks again...

bloomiegirl

US English
    I would say: They request that the passport be issued.

I think it is understood that it must be issued by the country where they are citizens or are otherwise entitled to a passport.

I doubt that "migratory authorities" is right; "migratory" makes me think of seasonal bird migrations. (Perhaps you meant to say "immigration," but I don't think that is correct either, since immigration usually relates to relocating in a new country.) In any case, the name of the issuing agency would depend on the country involved; here in the USA passports are issued by the Depeartment of State.

se16teddy

English - England
    Wouldn't it be easier to say They ask their country's passport authority for a passport (or possibly to issue a passport)?

Good clear English prefers verbs (like issue) to nouns (like issuance).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >