Issue about declension

sclubusher

French
Hello There !

I have a little probem as for the masculine declension, I don't know how to choose the -end of the word between Nominative and Accusative
For example

ДЕНЬ = Nominative

ДЕНЬ = Accusative like Nominative

ПАРЕНЬ = Nominative

ПАРНЯ = Accusative like Genetive

ГЕРОЙ = Nominative

ГЕРОЯ = Accusative like Genetive

МУЗЕЙ = Nominative

МУЗЕЙ = Accusative like Nominative

I would like to know how to choose, how to know... What is the rule ? ^^

Thank you very much for your help
Have a great one ! :)

• morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    You have to mention that this rule is for masculine nouns of 2-nd declension.

For the 1st declension it is not so (mostly it is feminines, but few may still be masculines). Аll masculines in 1st declension are animates.
    But their Acc. is not equal to either Genitive or Nom.

Last edited:

PERSEE

French, France
    You have to mention that this rule is for masculine nouns of 2-nd declension.

For the 1st declension it is not so (mostly it is feminines, but few may still be masculines).
    You mean, for example, папа or мужчина? So we may consider that папа belongs to the first declension, but is masculine, i.e. its adjectives and/or pronouns are masculine, am I right?

In my opinion, it is one of the beauties of Russian. There is a peculiar logic to it, that is peculiar from a French point of view. In French, we also have feminine words that mostly apply to men (canaille, brute), but their adjectives remain feminine, although the word applies to a man.

Ex: Cet homme est une brute vicieuse. (This man is a lecherous brute.) I guess we could even say: "Cette brute s'est assise au coin du feu" (This brute sat by the fire.), without ever implying he is not a man.

Maroseika

Russian
    So we may consider that папа belongs to the first declension, but is masculine, i.e. its adjectives and/or pronouns are masculine, am I right?
    Yes, they are masculine: Он - мой папа.

But in case of the nouns used figuratevely or meaning some special features (can't elaborate good definition), we use a combination of genders: pronoun reflects the real gender, adjective - grammatical gender.

Этот парень - редкостная скотина.
    Он - светлая голова (but Он - наш городской голова = He is our mayor, because голова is used here in the direct sense).
    Он - большая умница.
    Она - большая умница (but on the other hand, Она - настоящий молоде́ц).

Last edited:

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    ... we use a combination of genders: pronoun reflects the real gender, adjective - grammatical gender.
    It is quite common that the subject and the nominal predicate are of different genders (sometimes even of different numbers).

Он — большая звезда.
    Mедведь — хищное животное.
    Время — деньги.

Он = subject;
    — = copula;
    большая звезда = nominal predicate;

< Previous | Next >