issue whether

Mary R Carter

Thai - Thailand
Hi teachers,
Which is better? It is a sentence from an academic essay.

(1)In this essay, I will discuss the issue whether women should have the right to abortion or not.

(2)In this essay, I will discuss the issue of whether women should have the right to abortion or not.

Is "of" necessary in this sentence, or should it be omitted?

Last edited:
  • Barque

Tamil
    I think it's needed. It links the word "issue" with the details of the issue.

And I know this's not part of your question but perhaps you mean "the issue of whether women should have the right to abortion or not". Having or not having it is relatively clear-cut.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'The question whether' is commonly used without 'of' (though it's just as good with 'of'). Other such words sound much better with 'of': the issue of whether, the problem of whether, etc.

Mary R Carter

Thai - Thailand
    And I know this's not part of your question but perhaps you mean "the issue of whether women should have the right to abortion or not". Having or not having it is relatively clear-cut.
    Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I will edit it.

How about "In this essay, I will discuss the issue of if women should have the right to abortion"?

Is "of" still necessary if I use "if" instead of "whether"?

Mary R Carter

Thai - Thailand
    'The question whether' is commonly used without 'of' (though it's just as good with 'of'). Other such words sound much better with 'of': the issue of whether, the problem of whether, etc.
    Thank you. How about "the issue of if women should have the right to abortion"? Is "of" necessary in that sentence?

Barque

Tamil
    I wouldn't use "if" in that sentence. "If" and "whether" are not interchangeable here.

This essay asks if women should have the right to abortion or not.

In this essay, I'll discuss the issue of women's right to abortion.

Mitchell Nakano

Japanese - Japan
    I wouldn't use "if" in that sentence. "If" and "whether" are not interchangeable here.

This essay asks if women should have the right to abortion or not.

In this essay, I'll discuss the issue of women's right to abortion
    Then, it seems like it is better to drop "whether" in the sentence. Can I then say "I will discuss the issue of genetically modified food/the issue of LGBT marriage/the issue of cloning human/the issue of juvenile crime/the issue of illegal immigration, etc.? Is it better then?

Barque

Tamil
    Can I then say "I will discuss the issue of genetically modified food/the issue of LGBT marriage/the issue of cloning human/the issue of juvenile crime/the issue of illegal immigration, etc.?
    You don't need "whether" here in any case because those are not questions/choices between two alternatives, unlike in the OP.

< Previous | Next >