...issued a cheque for the amount...

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In your sentence, "the amount of" should be omitted. You could include it, but then the preposition should be in, not "for". That is, either of these sentences would be correct:
    I have issued a check for $1000.
    I have issued a check in the amount of $1000.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I have issued a check in the amount of $1000.
    That sounds very much like legal-speak to me (or like something Dickens might have written). Even "issued" sounds rather stiff for everyday English (BrE, at least).

It would more usually be "I have written a cheque for §1000", or (since cheques are often sent) "I have sent a cheque for §1000".

Ws

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    We weren't given context, Ws, and the issuer wasn't identified. Over here, while I personally don't "issue" checks (I just write them), it would be perfectly normal to use issue to refer to a check written by a business.

AmaryllisBunny

If this is supposed to be legal-speak...

Legal Context:
    I have issued a check in the amount of one thousand dollars and no /100 ($1,000.00) to XXXXX for XXX.
    You would have to double up.

Normal Context:
    I wrote [someone] a check for $1,000.

Bank Context:
    I have issued a check to XXXXX for XXX in the amount of one thousand dollars ($1000.00).

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The banks in this region (Singapore, Malaysia) go for slightly old fashioned language. A sentence like this is not remarkable here:

I have issued a cheque for (the amount of) $1,000 in favour of John Smith.

As others have noted, issue is unusual elsewhere; similarly in favour of is also unusual elsewhere except perhaps in South Asia.

Informally, we say, 'I've made out a $1,000 cheque to John Smith.'

< Previous | Next >