it’s a delicate thing, and takes patience and the long pause

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 446, chapter 19) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Mellors wrote to Connie, saying that he won’t let the breath of people blow out the Pentecost flame between Connie and himself , not let even the crocus be blown out.…)

My soul softly Naps in the little Pentecost flame with you, like the peace of fucking. We fucked a flame into being. Even the flowers are fucked into being between the sun and the earth. But it’s a delicate thing, and takes patience and the long pause.

I presume the it refers to his living with Connie. So this sentence mean: to live with Connie(=it) is a tough/difficult(=delicate) thing, and it needs patience and the long wait(=pause)

Is the understanding right please?
Thank you in advance

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I think it refers to the flame. Have you checked the meaning of 'delicate'? It can mean fragile/easily broken or destroyed. 'Wait' seems as good as anything for 'long pause'.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you.
    Have you checked the meaning of 'delicate'?
    Yes. But in a Chinese version, it's translated as difficult.which is also a definition of a English-Chinese dicitonary.
    I think it refers to the flame.
    But I feel it is more likely to refer to Connie living with Mellors, according to the previous sentence from the same paragraph I don’t want you to be away from me. But if I start fretting it wastes something. Patience, always patience.:)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    to live with Connie(=it) is a tough/difficult(=delicate) thing, and it needs patience and the long wait(=pause)
    So, you think he wrote "to live with Connie is a tough thing which needs patience and a long wait".
    The paragraph is about the flame. A pronoun has to be very close to the word or phrase it replaces, and clearly linked to it, not a phrase sentences before.

< Previous | Next >