it’s a fine evening for a bit of a magg

jacdac

Lebanese
Silas’s face broke into a mass of wrinkles when he smiled. ‘Well now. I’d say it’s a fine evening for a bit of a magg, wouldn’t you?’ The smile widened. ‘Ee-yah, tek this.’
Source: The Fourth Friend by Joy Ellis.
Context: Sila lives in an isolated desolate cabin at the marsh, outside Saltern-Le -Fen. He had a visitor with a bottle of whiskey.

What does magg mean?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It seems to be a Lincolnshire dialect word. Some of Joy Ellis's books have a glossary at the end. Otherwise, the obvious meaning would be "a drink" i.e. a drinking session; spending time drinking and talking.

(There is a verb "magg" -> to steal (by pilfering, and chiefly, coal), but this was only used in Scotland is now believed to be obsolete - I think we can dismiss this meaning.)

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you. This word is not listed in the glosssary section of the book and neither repeated.

Bongone

English - Australia
    In AusE, and I believe also in NZ, to have a bit of a magg was used for to have a chat. I doubt you would hear it now. It clearly arrived with British migrants in the distant past.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    In AusE, and I believe also in NZ, to have a bit of a magg was used for to have a chat. I doubt you would hear it now. It clearly arrived with British migrants in the distant past.
    :thumbsup:

This seems to fit, albeit here they do it over a drink. This comes a little further on in the book:
    Silas proceeded to clear some gardening tools from an old wooden bench, while Carter went inside to hunt for usable glasses. It was too nice an evening to be stuck indoors, and Silas knew that enclosed spaces made Carter uneasy.

The old man sat down and raised his glass towards his guest. ‘So. You need to ask me something, don’t you, young’un?’
    The Fourth Friend (DI Jackman & DS Evans #3) by JOY ELLIS (page_16)-Online free fiction reading

< Previous | Next >