< Previous | Next >

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Source:

I no longer recognise the Britain I grew up in | This is Money

Sample sentences:

1. Only in recent times, after a gap of about 30 years, have I started to return there — and the place I find is no longer recognisable. It’s not just that the buildings have been torn down — the whole way of life, the entire texture of the place has been gouged out.

2. Only in recent times, after a gap of about 30 years, have I started to return there — and the place I find is no longer recognisable. It’s not just that the buildings were torn down — the whole way of life, the entire texture of the place was gouged out.

Question:

Version #1 is the original. Is version #2 also correct in this case?

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• JJXR

Russian
    Thanks for the response, Uncle Jack.

How about these two versions (they don't have the "It's..." part):

1A. Only in recent times, after a gap of about 30 years, have I started to return there — and the place I find is no longer recognisable. Not only have the buildings been torn down but also the whole way of life, the entire texture of the place has been gouged out.

2A. Only in recent times, after a gap of about 30 years, have I started to return there — and the place I find is no longer recognisable. Not only were the buildings torn down but also the whole way of life, the entire texture of the place was gouged out.

kentix

English - U.S.
    1 is still better.

"I have started..."

"I have learned the buildings have been...

< Previous | Next >