it acted on my senses as if their utmost activity hitherto had been but torpor

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 35) | Genius

Quotation: Suddenly it stood still to an inexpressible feeling that thrilled it through, and passed at once to my head and extremities. The feeling was not like an electric shock, but it was quite as sharp, as strange, as startling: it acted on my senses as if their utmost activity hitherto had been but torpor, from which they were now summoned and forced to wake. They rose expectant: eye and ear waited while the flesh quivered on my bones.
===
Hi everyone! I don’t quit understand the bold part, especially the logical relations between “it acted on my senses” and “as if their utmost activity…”. I try to make it clear as below. Is it correct?

Torpor => 1 a : a state of mental and motor inactivity with partial or total insensibility

The sentence => but the feeling was quite as sharp, strange, startling as an electric shock: it stimulated my senses so strongly as to make them much more reactive than before – it seemed as if they had just not functioned and were now summoned and forced to wake.

Last edited:
  • elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Their effect on my senses was so strong that it seemed that up until that point, they had been largely nonreactive (even when they were most reactive), and that they were now being awakened from that state of torpor.

< Previous | Next >