'it' and 'as well'

CKM367

Russian
In "Four Sisters, All Queens" by Sherry Jones, I read such a phrase:
Would that I had killed the Lady Beatrice instead of your innocent Sanchia! I hope that you will find it in your heart someday to forgive me, as well.

Can anybody guess what 'it' means? And so about 'as well': "forgive, as well" or "find as well"? I can only suppose that "you will find it better, as well as I do, to kill Lady Beatrice so that you will forgive me for such an idea" but I am not sure.
Thanks in advance.

• tepatria

Canadian English
    It here refers to compassion or feelings. Can you find it in your heart is a set phrase used to ask if you have the feelings in your heart to do something.
    As well here means also. Someone else was forgiven, or someone else had already forgiven her, and she wants him to forgive her too.

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    In the sentence provided, "it" is a so-called "preparatory" pronoun: it prepares the listener/reader to what will follow - in this case "to forgive me, as well".
    Other names for "preparotory" are " forward-pointing" and "cataphoric".

GS

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    To expand on Giorgio's excellent explanation:

“I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me” = I hope you will find forgiveness in your heart to forgive me.”
    “I hope you will find it convenient if I arrive at 2 o’clock.” “I hope you will find my arrival convenient if I arrive at 2 o’clock.”

CKM367

Russian
    Thanks, PaulQ and others! Can you also explain "as well"? The man who wrote that did not forgive himself for killing Sancia and he hang himself because of that.

< Previous | Next >