it being <as well-known in the vicinity as the Cathedral.>

park sang joon

Korean
The narrator recalls his childhood.
He goes to the new school Doctor Strong's after experiencing the hard work at a warehouse at London during half a year.
Now He relates about Doctor Strong's generosity and kindness.

He would have taken his gaiters off his legs, to give away. In fact, there was a story current among us (I have no idea, and never had, on what authority, but I have believed it for so many years that I feel quite certain it is true), that on a frosty day, on winter-time, he actually did bestow his gaiters on a beggar-woman, who occasioned some scandal in the neighbourhodd by exhibiting a fine infant from door to door, wrapped in those garments, which were universally recognized, being as well-known in the vicinity as the Cathedral.
[David Copperfield by Charles Dickens]
I'd like to know if "as well-known in the vicinity as the Cathedral" means "as well-known in the vicinity as the Cathedral is well-known in the vicinity."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• Mr.Dent

English American
    In the neighborhood around the cathedral, everyone recognized those garments.

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, Mr. Dent, for your so very helpful answer. :)
    Then I was wondering if the "as~as" clause compares "vicinity" and "the Cathedral," why it is "as well-known in the vicinity as the Cathedral," not "well-known as in the vicinity as the Cathedral."

raumar

Norwegian
    The "as~as" clause compares "those garments" and the Cathedral. In the vicinity (neighbourhood), those garments were as well-known as the Cathedral.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    At the time, old-fashioned Anglican clergyman still wore knee-breeches, but they did not wear them with knitted stockings. Instead, they wore them with a different kind of leg covering called "gaiters". (ordinary Anglican clergy stopped wearing gaiters in the 19th Century, but they continued to be worn by Anglican bishops and archdeacons into the 20th Century. Here is a picture of Cosmo Lang, later Archbishop of Canterbury, wearing gaiters.) Doctor Strong's old-fashioned gaiters were as well known in that neighborhood -- that is, they were as easily recognized and identified -- as the most prominent building in town.

< Previous | Next >