It doesn't fit

< Previous | Next >

compadremoncho

Spanish
Hallo zusammen!

I wonder how I can say that something doesn't fit, in German.

To talk about clothes I ran into the verb "passen"; however, I am looking for "fit" in the sense that something does not agree or match

e.g.:
Something doesn’t quite fit here
His pictures don’t fit into any category
The facts certainly fit your theory

I would also like to know how to say FIT in German in the sense of "right size"
e.g:
I’d like to have a desk in the room but it won’t fit.
All the kids will fit in the back of the car.

Finally, as I do not want to opne a new thread just to ask this I'd aslo like to know how to say FIT IN (example: I do not fit in here)

Thanks in advance! :)

• Arukami

You can use "passen" for all of your examples.

e. g.:
    Ich hätte gerne einen Schreibtisch im Raum, aber es passt nicht.
    Seine Bilder passen in keine der Kategorien.

Dan2

US
    English (US)
    Ich hätte gerne einen Schreibtisch im Raum, aber es passt nicht.
    Is this what you'd say for Moncho's "I’d like to have a desk in the room but it won’t fit."? He's clearly referring to physical size (the desk is a meter wide but the space for it is only 80 cm), not to appropriateness.

The reason for my confusion: In English, the "it" clearly refers to a particular desk. "it won't fit" means "the desk won't fit", leading me to expect "er passt nicht" (if "passt" really means "fits", in this sense).

Or is it is a question of definiteness? If it were, "Ich hätte gerne den (jenen) Schreibtisch im Raum", would it then be "aber er passt nicht"?

Thanks.

Arukami

Das ist mehr oder weniger umgangssprachlich. Natürlich würde es korrekterweise "er passt nicht" heißen, denn es handelt sich ja hier um die Größe des Schreibtisches, der nicht in den Raum passt.
    Das "es passt nicht" bedeutet in etwa, dass die gegebenen Bedingungen (also hier die physischen) es einfach nicht zulassen. "Es passt einfach nicht" - mehr oder weniger allgemein gesagt.
    Besser vielleicht wirklich so etwas wie "Er passt nicht hinein." sagen. :)

Last edited:

compadremoncho

Spanish
    Thank you guys! :) I appreciate it!

What about the other examples?
    Can I use "passen" in all the examples? if not, Which verb can I use?

thanks in advance!

< Previous | Next >