"...it don't break even..."

73line

SPANISH
hi all,

could someone tell me why in this piece of song's lyric they say "it don't " instead "it doesn't..."?

thanks

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... it don't ... = two syllables
    ... it doesn't ... = three syllables
    And of course "don't" is ungrammatical and therefore more acceptable in the context.
    By the way, what is the context?

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    I suspect it's "The Man who Can't be Moved" by The Script. Great song.

And I agree, it's almost certainly to do with the number of syllables. Song lyrics are notorious for being ungrammatical so shouldn't be used as examples of correct English unless you're absolutely certain.

73line

SPANISH
    Thanks all,

it's grateful to receive answer for irish & england people as,it's a song's lyric of The Script ("breakeven"), irish band so I guess you know exactly why do they say like this... I firstly thought it was cos the rhythm of the music... but I wasn't sure... so thanks.

Ah!... the phrase or context is "cos when a heart breaks no it don't break even..."

xjm

English - USA
    Thanks all,

it's grateful to receive answer for irish & england people as,it's a song's lyric of The Script ("breakeven"), irish band so I guess you know exactly why do they say like this... I firstly thought it was cos the rhythm of the music... but I wasn't sure... so thanks.

Ah!... the phrase or context is "cos when a heart breaks no it don't break even..."
    To me the quoted lyrics sound like American Country Western music, so I'm surprised to hear that it's Irish. Country Western music often uses one of the American dialects that has "don't" in place of "doesn't."

There's a similar thread right now about a similar substitution of "don't" for "doesn't":
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1517945

Maybe reading that as well would give you more information on how people react differently to "don't" for the singular third person.

Paul W.

Polish
    Hello everyone,
    I am certain you all have once heard Jackson's song titled "Black or white". There is also such a phrase: "It don't matter if you're black or white". I was wondering what's wrong with the lyrics and this thread has just made the issue clear. Thank you people :)

< Previous | Next >