it figures it would be something like this

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Nada, a homeless worker, finds glasses that show you "the truth" — the world the way it really is: the government and the rich are aliens that rule the world. And all the media — TV, magazines, books, billboards, etc are really messages hypnotizing the people, like "stay asleep", "no independent thought", "consume", "obey", and so on. Besides, the aliens really have ugly scull-like faces. Now, Nada, amazed, is watching a TV in a store, where an ugly-faced announcer tells how everythings is good, optimistic, we need to just accept it all, etc. Nada, chuckling, says:
— It figures it would be something like this.
They Live, movie

Does that mean: "no wonder they actually look like that"? If so, what do you think the "would" indicates? I don't know if it's more like hypothetical, or the future in the past..
Thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    I don't really understand your question or your confusion, Vic. What does the remark mean? It means "I am not surprised that the aliens are giving us messages that tell us everything is okay and that we should just accept it."

Perhaps some other member will give you the sort of analysis of "would" that you're asking for in this thread. I'm just not up to making that attempt right now.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I don't really understand your question or your confusion, Vic. What does the remark mean? It means "I am not surprised that the aliens are giving us messages that tell us everything is okay and that we should just accept it."

Perhaps some other member will give you the sort of analysis of "would" that you're asking for in this thread. I'm just not up to making that attempt right now.
    His speech sounds quote standard though, what a politician on TV could say. I think what he hears is what the man on TV is really saying. But in combination with his ugly appearance and the big sign "OBEY" behind the speaker, it does look funny.

Thank you.
    ----------
    Waiting for ideas on the "would".

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Thank you for the generous amount of context in the question.
    The outline you have given reminds me a lot of George Orwell's 1984. It is a glimpse of a future, or indeed a present, in which the human race is being manipulated by overt and subliminal messages. Look up dystopian :)

Nada lives in a world where the media present a very positive and warm image of life. It seems that he is not at all convinced by all of this. He must have some kind of intuition that it is all a facade, a sham.

He finds the glasses that show things as they really are, and he begins to understand what might be going on.

Aha, he thinks, I knew there was something bad going on, it makes sense to me now. I didn't know exactly what was going on, but I imagined it might be something like this.
    It figures (it makes sense to me now).

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The outline you have given reminds me a lot of George Orwell's 1984. It is a glimpse of a future, or indeed a present, in which the human race is being manipulated by overt and subliminal messages. Look up dystopian :)
    Exactly, it looks like a dystopia:):thumbsup:

Aha, he thinks, I knew there was something bad going on, it makes sense to me now. I didn't know exactly what was going on, but I imagined it might be something like this.
    As to "would", I have two versions of understanding it, and I'm not sure which fits better, if any:

1. I always suspected it would be something like this. (future in the past)

2. If, before I found these glasses, I had been asked what the world really was, I would have said it was something like this. (unreal hypothetical)

'1' fits better grammatically, '2' sounds better logically, although it's "would have +Ved"...

I'd just like to understand this "would" in this phrase..

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I'd just like to understand this "would" in this phrase..
    It's neither future in the past nor an unreal hypothetical, exactly, but perhaps somewhere inbetween. It's more like a real hypothetical, if that isn't an oxymoron. Think of it as a prediction that has come true.
    It figures (that) it would be like this -> It makes sense that it would turn out to be like this

the aliens really have ugly scull-like faces
    You mean their faces look like oars? :D
    :arrow: skull

< Previous | Next >