it figures

lexxemma

Spanish
Hi, I've learned that "it figures" is a phrase which may mean something like "it makes sense", but could anyone tell its possible meaning in the following sentence taken from some lyrics?

Who would've thought... it figures

Thank you!

• Dvortygirl

English - California
    There's a little more to "it figures" than simply "it makes sense". It often has a connotation of complaint or sarcasm to it. For instance, "I finally found the place, and it's closed today. It figures." It's like saying, "This sort of thing always happens to me," or, "just my bad luck."

I think if you look at the rest of the words to that song, you'll see that there's a lot going wrong in this way.

Bigote Blanco

There's a little more to "it figures" than simply "it makes sense". It often has a connotation of complaint or sarcasm to it. For instance, "I finally found the place, and it's closed today. It figures." It's like saying, "This sort of thing always happens to me," or, "just my bad luck."

I think if you look at the rest of the words to that song, you'll see that there's a lot going wrong in this way.

Dvortygirl,
    Excellent explaination. :thumbsup: