It had gone five o’clock

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
In Touching the Void, Joe Simpson, an English mountaineer, writes: “We hadn’t descended far before I realized how poor the light had become. I checked my watch and was surprised to see that it had gone five o’clock”.

Is “It had gone five o’clock” a British English expression? Does it mean “It was past five o’clock”?

Thanks in advance for your explanations.

• Loob

English UK
    Hi Pete - Happy Christmas!

"It had gone five o'clock" sounds strange to me. I'd be (relatively) happy with "it was gone five o'clock", meaning "it was [just] past five o’clock".

I expect "it had gone five o'clock" means exactly the same thing....

Brioche

Australia English

"It had gone five o'clock" sounds strange to me. I'd be (relatively) happy with "it was gone five o'clock", meaning "it was [just] past five o’clock".

Um, I tried changing it to: "I checked my watch and was surprised to see that it was gone five o’clock” - but the sequence of tenses sounds wrong to my ears. had gone sounds just right to me.

Doctors differ, patients die.

spodulike

English - England

Wow! That´s interesting. I am English and "had" sounds perfectly normal to me!

< Previous | Next >