it has delegated this responsibility

Roundhouse

Bengali
I wrote the following.

The Employment Insurance (EI) Act doesn’t state the criteria for establishing, delineating, and reviewing EI regional boundaries; it has delegated this responsibility to the CEIC and ESDC.
This is meant to be a footnote, and space is limited (there are more sentences with the above). I want to know if the sentence captures the intended meaning.

I want to say to my reader that the EI Act does not list the criteria for establishing EI regions. The Act has delegated the responsibility of making regulations regarding regional boundaries to the CEIC and ESDC. Basically, CEIC and ESDC can make any regulatory changes with regards to EI regions.

I have a feeling my quoted sentence might not capture this meaning. Instead, it feels like my sentence is saying "it has delegated this responsibility [of stating the criteria for ...] to CEIC ..."

Am I being pedantic and unreasonable?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, you are, for two reasons. Common sense tells any reader with any legal knowledge what kind of thing is (typically) delegated. For anyone who is realistically likely to read this, that is the main reason. Also, grammatically, the nearer referent for 'this' is the establishing, etc.; the previously mentioned stating of criteria is further away. When there are two possible referents, equally likely on semantic grounds, we prefer to read it as the nearer one.

LaMercyArt

I would say keep the second part of the sentence in the present tense, as "doesn't" is. What about this version?
    The Employment Insurance (EI) Act doesn’t state the criteria for establishing, delineating, and reviewing EI regional boundaries, but rather delegates this responsibility to the CEIC and ESDC.
    Or something similar.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I would say you are not being overly pedantic.

Although at first I didn't notice anything wrong, as soon as you mentioned your feeling, I found myself agreeing with it.

However, in mitigation I would say that if the Act does not state the criteria, and if responsibility for establishing (etc.) these boundaries is delegated to the other bodies, then it follows that those bodies must develop their own criteria for how they are going to discharge this responsibility. Unless they are going keep those criteria secret when establishing the boundaries, it follows they must also state the criteria. So maybe the two meanings are not terribly different from each other.

Perhaps a simple change from "this responsibility" to "the responsibility for this" would be a good compromise.

Roundhouse

Bengali
    Perhaps a simple change from "this responsibility" to "the responsibility for this" would be a good compromise.
    Hello Edinburgher, do you think the following change (based on your suggestion) will be an improvement over the original?

"... it has assigned the responsibility for all matters related to EI regions to the CEIC and ESDC."

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It would an improvement in terms of making it clear and easy to understand, but unfortunately it would be an incorrect representation of the facts, since they delegated (there is no need to change it to assigned) only matters related to the boundaries of the regions, and not "all matters" related to the regions.

< Previous | Next >