It hopes it prevails

shaban

Persian-Iran
Senate Republican Conference Chairman John Thune (S.D.) said Congress could vote on various levels of border security funding, such as the $1.6 billion for border fencing and $1 billion for immigration-related matters that McConnell offered to Democrats earlier in the week.

"I suspect that if that vote doesn't prevail and it hopes it prevails then I think we probably have to huddle up with the House and figure out what the next steps are," Thune said.

What does the Senator mean by saying 'it hopes prevails'?
Does he mean if Senate members including Democrates agree to vote for
the $1.6 billion for border fencing and $1 billion for immigration-related matters instead of $5 billion which Trump is trying to get for border wall?

Source:Senate in last-minute talks to find deal to avert shutdown

• shaban

Persian-Iran
    Senate Republican Conference Chairman John Thune (S.D.) said Congress could vote on various levels of border security funding, such as the $1.6 billion for border fencing and $1 billion for immigration-related matters that McConnell offered to Democrats earlier in the week.
    "I suspect that if that vote doesn't prevail...
    Doesn't that vote refer to the $1.6 billion for border fencing and $1 billion for immigration-related matters that McConnell offered to Democrats earlier in the week?
    If it doesn't then what does he mean by saying 'that vote'?
    Or maybe this plan is just an example.
    It's a mistake. I can't guess what he was trying to say.

lingobingo

English - England
    There is a mistake, but it’s not the one in the OP. The sentence reads:

“I suspect that if that vote doesn’t prevail — and I hopes it prevails — then I think we probably have to huddle up with the House and figure out what the next steps are,” Thune said.
    That word “hopes” should be “hope” because the subject is I, not it! What that phrase means is “and personally, I hope it does prevail”.

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    That word “hopes” should be “hope” because the subject is I, not it! What that phrase means is “and personally, I hope it does prevail”.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I actually find it encouraging that students try to retype quotations rather than simply copying and pasting. It does make for some head-scratchers though. In this case, the OP correctly copied an error, but introduced new errors that made the whole thing incomprehensible.

< Previous | Next >