It is ____ unusual type of ____ musical instrument.

< Previous | Next >

Chazzwozzer

Turkish
It is ____ unusual type of ____ musical instrument.

a) a/the
b) the/a
c) .../...
d) .../the
e) an/....

I think the answer is E, but again my teacher disagrees with me. She says B is correct.

What your answer would be and why?

• JamesM

My answer would be... find a new teacher, Chazzwozzer. As we would say in the U.S., "she's batting 0 for 3." :) I would agree with you; the correct answer is E.

"B" is incorrect because it would mean that whatever instrument is being discussed is the only unusual type of musical instrument. Also, we would not place an "a" between "type of" and "musical". (I can't give you the rule behind that, though.)

duckie

Denmark
    You are correct.

An is used before vowel sounds (people often think the rule is 'before vowels', but that's not correct). There's no need to put a definite article in front of musical instrument.

edit - ninjaed, but note that it really is vowel sounds, not vowels (though mostly they coincide).

timpeac

English (England)
    Yes, three strikes and you're out, surely?:D

Again, you could say "the most unusual" but it would always be "of musical instrument".

Chazzwozzer

Turkish
    Thank you so much guys! :)

Last question:
    I think we grammatically say "He plays the guitar/the piano/the violin" so what I wonder here is if the sentence were "It is an unusual type of ____ guitar" then would the have to go before guitar?

GenJen54

USA - English
    Thank you so much guys! :)

Last question:
    I think we grammatically say "He plays the guitar/the piano/the violin" so what I wonder here is if the sentence were "It is an unusual type of ____ guitar" then would the have to go before guitar?
    No. "Type of guitar" is correct. In this case, you are talking about "guitars" in general.

In the first sentence, you can just as easily and correctly say: He plays guitar / piano / violin without using "the."

timpeac

English (England)
    No - there would still be nothing before the "guitar". "He plays the xxx" is just the idiomatic way we express that concept - I don't think it throws any light on the structure you are asking about.

duckie

Denmark
    Except for..

I shoulda learned to play the guitar
    I shoulda learned to play them drums
    Look at that mama, she got it stickin' in the camera
    Man we could have some fun

(Money for Nothing - Dire Straits)

< Previous | Next >