It is a good athlete that never losses point.

< Previous | Next >

fatbaby

China Chinese
It is a good athlete that never losses points.
I am confused about the real meaning of this sentence. My guess is:
Only good athletes alway win.
Maybe I made a big mistake, many plain-looking English expressions turn out to be something very unexpected.
Thanks.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    The precise intent of the writer is not clear to me. You could perhaps also read the sentence "It is a good athlete who never loses a point" as meaning "it is a good athlete who never makes a mistake."

But that's more than just good, isn't it?

fatbaby

China Chinese
    bibliolept, thanks and nice see you again!
    I got the sentence from a Chinese website, one sub-link of which teaches English.It listed many tricky English phrases that usually puzzle our English learners. This is one of them.
    it also gave correct interpretation of each sentence. so, the correct understanding of this sentence, they said , was" Even a good athlete would lose points"( I translate from Chinese).
    What do you think?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    There a contradiction here, it would seem. How can a good athlete never lose points and also lose points? (This is why I said that someone who never loses is more than just "good.")

Loob

English UK
    Fatbaby, is your site suggesting that this is a saying or a proverb in English? It isn't, I'm afraid.

ascension

English-United States
    I'm not sure it's a contradiction. I think it is saying that to never lose points it is necessary, but not sufficient, to be a good athlete. Therefore, everyone who never loses points is a good athlete, but not all good athletes never lose points.

El escoces

English - UK
    Gien the suggested translation, my understanding is that even good athletes might lose points (sometimes), but only the best athlete never loses a point. So maybe it's a mistake in the translation of a superlative?

< Previous | Next >