It is all very tragic and I am afraid I just cannot bring~

< Previous | Next >

park sang joon

Korean
<from #10 in Collins Dictionary http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/american-cobuild-learners/bring?showCookiePolicy=true>
It is all very tragic and I am afraid I just cannot bring myself to talk about it at the moment.

The above sentence seems like to express a cause and result, so I'd like to know whether the 'very ~(that)' structure can play the role as the 'so~(that) structure'.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    It may well be cause and result, but the author has chosen not to express it in that way. Instead, it has been written as two simple statements. Don't be over-sophisticated about it: accept the author's decision.

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, Mr.Bradford for your kind and concrete answer. :)
    It may well be cause and result, but the author has chosen not to express it in that way. Instead, it has been written as two simple statements. Don't be over-sophisticated about it: accept the author's decision.
    I see.
    Even though this doesn't express a cause and result through the structure, but I can perceive a cause and result from the context of the sentence.

Wordnip

British English
    Thank you, Mr.Bradford for your kind and concrete answer. :)

I see.
    Even though this doesn't express a cause and result through the structure, but I can perceive a cause and result from the context of the sentence.
    As a matter of interest, do you mean 'cause and effect'? If so can you explain fully what you take to be the cause and what you take to be the effect? It seems to be an odd analysis of the sentence's meaning which seems to be about an emotional reaction which does not bear a simple cause-effect relationship or mechanism.

park sang joon

Korean
    Yes, Wordnip.
    I think this clause is cause part: It is all very tragic and I am afraid
    And I think this clause is effect part :
    I just cannot bring myself to talk about it at the moment
    What do you think about this?

Yes, of course there is a causal implication, namely

OP** It is all very tragic and **because of that** I am afraid I just cannot bring myself to talk about it at the moment.

However, your analysis puts too much emphasis on 'very' for the sentence works without "all very." Compare.

"Your cat is a Persian and I am afraid I cannot be in the same room with it." (Said by someone with allergies.)

<from #10 in Collins Dictionary http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/american-cobuild-learners/bring?showCookiePolicy=true>
    It is all very tragic and I am afraid I just cannot bring myself to talk about it at the moment.

The above sentence seems like to express a cause and result, so I'd like to know whether the 'very ~(that)' structure can play the role as the 'so~(that) structure'.

< Previous | Next >