It is as eloquent and as impassioned a plea as exists

< Previous | Next >

enfritrus

Turkish
Hi everyone!
While I was studying for the CAE test, I encountered such a sentence which was a bit tricky to understand, so I need your help to grasp the exact meaning. The sentence is referring to a wild life book.

"It is as eloquent and as impassioned a plea as exists for what we would now call "sustainable human development."

Firstly I would like to know the meaning of this quoted sentence.
Secondly, in my opinion, there shouldn't be an "a" before "plea", but it has to be placed before "impassioned". (an impassioned plea)

Thanks in advance.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The placement of 'a' is correct. This is how an 'as . . . as' adjective phrase is placed around a noun when the second 'as' is followed by a clause. Compare:

It is a tree which is as big as a house.
    It is a tree as big as a house. [adjective phrase includes a noun, 'house', so it entirely follows the noun it is modifying, 'tree']
    It is a tree as big as you will find anywhere in the street. [adjective phrase includes a clause after the second 'as' - can also entirely follow]
    It is as big a tree as you will find anywhere in the street. [same thing, with part of the phrase before the noun, and part after]
    :cross:It is an as big tree as . . .

perpend

Banned
    American English
    "It is as eloquent and as impassioned a plea as exists for what we would now call "sustainable human development."

Firstly I would like to know the meaning of this quoted sentence.
    Secondly, in my opinion, there shouldn't be an "a" before "plea", but it has to be placed before "impassioned". (an impassioned plea)
    I agree that the sentence is correct.

The plea exists as both as a very eloquent one, and as a very impassioned one, for what we now call "sustainable human development".

You need the "a" before "plea". You don't need "an" before "impassioned".

< Previous | Next >