It 'is' because I dove into the abyss that I am beginning to

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    The plain sentence would be I am beginning to love the abyss I am made of because I dove into the abyss.

To emphasize the reason, the because clause is moved to the beginning of the sentence, and a grammatical construction is jerry-built to make the sentence work.

It (=the reason that I am beginning
    to love the abyss I am made of) is because I dove into the abyss. The that clause is stuck at the end to make sure you know what it refers to.

I am not sure if the two abysses are the same or different.

EStjarn

Spanish
    I believe yours is an example of a cleft sentence. They are used for emphasis. The thing about cleft sentences is that their meanings can be expressed as simple sentences, here as: "I am beginning to love the abyss I am made of because I dove into the abyss." There is no difference in meaning. In other words, 'is' in the topic sentence is empty of meaning.

Wikipedia
    has an article on cleft sentences, from which I quote:
    In English, a cleft sentence can be constructed as follows:

it + conjugated form of to be + X + subordinate clause

where it is a cleft pronoun and X is usually a noun phrase (although it can also be a prepositional phrase, and in some cases an adjectival or adverbial phrase). [...] Finally, the last element of a cleft is the cleft constituent. As mentioned earlier, the focused part of a cleft is typically a noun phrase, but may in fact, turn up to be just about anything: [...] Adverbial clause: It was because she was so lonely all the time that she decided to move out.
    As to whether it is a complement, yes, I think so. I don't know that a conjugated form of 'be' can be followed by anything but a complement.

Edit: Cross-posted with exgerman.

shorty1

Korean
    Thank you so much exgerman and Estjarn. :)

Yes, definitely right. :thumbsup:

This is a cleft construction for emphasis as you asnwered.

I mistook this for another thing. :eek:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >