It is commonly reported that following

DUET

Bengali
Source:
Practice Book for the Paper-based GRE® revised General Test

It is commonly reported that following extended absences from the odorous environment, reexposure may still fail to elicit
perception at the original intensity.

Can we comment by the above sentence that-

If someone is reexposed to an odorous environment after an extended absence then he perceives the odor as being less intense than it was upon first exposure

• e2efour

UK English
    You have paraphrased the sentence correctly. :)

I don't know why the text has the odorous environment. If it is meant to be a general statement, I would expect an environment.

Also many people today would object to he (and write they perceive instead).

(re-exposed looks better with a hyphen)

Smauler

British English
    Yes, that's how I'd read it. I'd write it :

"It is commonly reported that even following extended absences from the odorous environment, reexposure may still fail to elicit
    perception at the original intensity."

DUET

Bengali
    But I am realy confused that how can we be sure that the intensity of perception will be less than the original.

I think intensity of perception can also be higher than the original.

DUET

Bengali
    It is commonly reported that following extended absences from the odorous environment, reexposure may still fail to elicit perception at the original intensity.

Both of the following sentences are correct according to the above sentence?

1. If someone is reexposed to an odorous environment after an extended absence then he perceives the odor as being less intense than it was upon first exposure.
    2. If someone is reexposed to an odorous environment after an extended absence then he perceives the odor as being higher intense than it was upon first exposure.

Last edited:

DUET

Bengali
    "reexposure may still fail to elicit perception at the original intensity." = perception is less intense.
    Yes I was looking for this message.

So we can't write

"reexposure may still fail to elicit perception at the original intensity." = perception is more intense.

Correct?

e2efour

UK English
    No, it's less intense. This is the only interpretation I can put on the original sentence you quoted.

But more intense and less intense are correct grammatically. :)

< Previous | Next >