It is documented

rich7

Venezuela español
Paul Konerko is one of the classiest people I have met in my life," Williams said. "It is documented that I thought he deserved the Most Valuable Player Award, and yes, I think that puts us maybe in a less advantageous negotiating position.

Can you translate this into plain English pls..?

• JLanguage

USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
    rich7 said:
    Paul Konerko is one of the classiest people I have met in my life," Williams said. "It is documented that I thought he deserved the Most Valuable Player Award, and yes, I think that puts us maybe in a less advantageous negotiating position.

Can you translate this into plain English pls..?
    "It is documented that I thought he deserved the Most Valuable Player Award, and yes, I think that puts us maybe in a less advantageous negotiating position."

It has been written down that I thought he was worthy of the Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award, and I do think that makes it harder for us to negotiate with him.

GenJen54

USA - English
    I agree with JLanguage in that "documented" normally does mean "written down." However, it has broader usage than that. Documented in this sense may actually mean reported and/or recorded.

While in this context it is probable that "documented" does mean "written down" without further context, we cannot know this exactly.

A statement may be documented on video tape, for example, or via a court reporting device. This happens a great deal in the legal field, where depositions are rarely hand-written, but rather recorded on video-tape.

It's possible in the scenario given, the (manager/owner) stated his opinion before a crowd or on camera during a press interview. As such, his statement, even though not written down, has, indeed, been documented. In the quote given, it's been documented could mean simply: "I've stated before..."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It is documented = it is on record, I have said publicly, everyone knows that...

As everyone, including Konerko, knows that Williams has a very high opinion of Konerko, including this opinion about his value, it is going to be very difficult indeed for Williams to persuade Konerko to accept anything but the most favourable financial terms.

< Previous | Next >