It is important how to position your computer.

dual light

KOREAN
Hi,

I have read a sentence "It is important how to position your computer." from Mediumcube. com.
While I understand that the subject of an infinitive expression is often put at the end of a sentence
by using it as a preparatory subject, I am not sure whether the same rule is also applied to the structure
of "interrogative + infinitive" like the posted sentence.
Can I have your kind advice in this regard?

• owlman5

English-US
    That sentence looks and sounds pretty odd to me, dual light. "How you position your computer is important" seems like the idiomatic way to express the idea. Another reasonable version would be "It is important to position your computer properly."

I took a quick look at a couple of pages on the Mediumcube website and didn't notice anything odd about the English used there. Perhaps you found an unusually clumsy sentence somewhere in that material.

Last edited:

dual light

KOREAN
    I took a quick look at a couple of pages on the Mediumcube website and didn't notice anything odd about the English used there. Perhaps you found an unusually clumsy sentence somewhere in that material.
    Thank you very much, owlman5.
    For your information, the source where I found the sentence is https://mediumcube.com/mctalk/2016/11/25/it-is-important-how-you-place-your-computer/.

In the meantime, what do you think of the following sentence which is from a local text book?
    Would it be odd, too?
    "It is up to us how to make it work for the benefit of humanity."

Andygc

British English
    I'd say that the English on that page is somewhat unusual. I'd be surprised if it was written by a native English speaker because there are several sentences which are not idiomatic. The sentence you have just posted is also odd.

I'm surprised by a computer company using a default WordPress template, rather than demonstrating its competence by designing its own.

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you very much, owlman5.
    You are welcome, dual light.

Would it be odd, too?
    "It is up to us how to make it work for the benefit of humanity."
    This one looks a little off to me. I prefer this version : How to make it work for the benefit of humanity is up to us.

Thanks for providing the link to the page where you found that weird sentence. It doesn't seem to be as well written as other pages on that website do. I saw quite a few oddities in the body of the text as well as in the title that first led you to wonder about the construction of the sentence in your question.

PS I just noticed that Andygc also found problems on that page.

< Previous | Next >