It is in our follies that we are one

< Previous | Next >

zorspas

Turkish in lieu of Zazakî
"It is in our faults and failings, not in our virtues, that we touch each other, and find sympathy.... It is in our follies that we are one."

Jerome K. Jerome

Can someone explain this?

Thanks...

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    It is our limitations, in our foolishness, that we are united; as humans, we all share frailties, and in our moment of need and weakness that we come together with compassion, empathy, and understanding. Our imperfections are a commonality, something that marks us as being similar and that binds us and joins us to each other.

It is not the things that we, as individuals, do well and can be proud of, and the good experiences, that make us connect; it is in the hard times and the craziness we go through (like the shared experience of being madly in love, or murderously jealous, or envious of a neighbor, or depressed) that we recognize, as bibliolept said, our commonality and connect with others...

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I must say I think there are some false emphases here. I don't think he's saying more that that it's often for our weaknesses that people like us - after all who could be more odious than someone without any? It's when we show these weaknesses that we appeal to people and that they feel sympathy for us - I think this is what he means when he says that it is our follies which bring us together.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    To me, follies are like dark or passionate moments, moments where behavior is not always logical, but has some madness behind it. Folly, from "folie" in French, which can mean madness, caprice, illogical behavior.
    Of course, the quote seems to put faults, failings, and follies in the same general category.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I think, as human beings, we tend to find perfect/too beautiful/flawless things/people frightening, cold, and unfriendly.

We feel closer to anything/anyone with some weaknesses, possibly because we feel that we can understand that thing/that person better.

After all, Tristan Reveur once said "Bad art is more tragically beautiful than good art 'cause it documents human failure."

< Previous | Next >