It is lack of variety

< Previous | Next >

Gencebay

Türkish
We took a visa exam at university today. The lecturer wanted us to find out the mistakes in some sentences. I was unable to be sure in some of the sentences; for instance, below are two of them:

1- That course book is lack of variety.

In the above sentence, I first thıought there was some mistake in "lack", and so I did in the exam, but after a little bit search, I see that there is nothing wrong in "lack" (at least I found it so :))

If the above sentence were "It lacks in variety", would it be correct, or should it have been "It lacks of variety", which, when I googled, saw that structure is rarely used ( and if it is correct). Or else, all this is not true for the above sentence, and is the problematic area of the sentence "variety". Lastly I wonder if there is no mistake at all.

2- Ask your friend what she is doing this evening

This is one of the sentences, too. I believe there is nothing wrong in this sentence. Do you agree, Mr/Ms Native Speakers and Experts?

Thank you all in advance

:)

• abenr

English, USA
    The first sentence is wrong; the second sentence is correct. "It lacks variety" would be correct. The addition of a preposition before "variety" is not necessary.

silverdaizy

Canada- English
    No chance for "it lacks in variety" ???:eek:
    Yes, you can say "It lacks in variety".

1- That course book is lack of variety.

Options for the first sentence would be:

That course book lacks variety.
    That course book is lacking in variety. (but I'm not entirely sure if that is gramatically correct or if it's just something we say in spoken AE)

Paradanta

English - Australia
    That course book lacks in variety.
    That course book has a lack of variety.

"Ask your friend what she is doing this evening" means ask her what she has already planned to do this evening.
    "Ask your friend what she is going to do this evening" would mean ask her if she has any plans for this evening.

By the way, I am glad you posted your doubts here in search of help. Perhaps some other "expert" could confirm my answer or enlighten me!

Cheers big ears.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    No chance for "it lacks in variety" ???:eek:
    You could say, "What it lacks in variety, it makes up for in consistency." We use "lacks in" in this idiomatic construction, but I would be less likely to use it in your sentence.

Here is the usage note for lack at Dictionary.com:
    When lack is used intransitively, the present participle is generally followed by in: You will not be lacking in support from me. Other forms of the intransitive verb are most often followed by for: In the terrible, beautiful age of my prime,/I lacked for sweet linen but never for time (E.B. White).
    A couple of posts intervened as I was writing this, and I see that we have differing views on this.

Gencebay

Türkish
    Yes, you can say "It lacks in variety".

Options for the first sentence would be:

That course book is lacking in variety. (but I'm not entirely sure if that is gramatically correct or if it's just something we say in spoken AE)
    Thank you

That course book lacks in variety.
    That course book has a lack of variety.

"Ask your friend what she is doing this evening" means ask her what she has already planned to do this evening.
    "Ask your friend what she is going to do this evening" would mean ask her if she has any plans for this evening.

By the way, I am glad you posted your doubts here in search of help. Perhaps some other "expert" could confirm my answer or enlighten me!

Cheers big ears.

My thanks also go for you ( it is as in Oscar Awards :D) I never like free-riding already, that's why I first mentioned about my doubts, then I asked for the help of experts

:)

< Previous | Next >