'It is more likely to be acceptable in coastal provinces and unacceptable in inland provinces' ?

ouwei

Chinese
Hi everyone, I am not sure which one of the following sentences would be better:

''It is more likely to be acceptable in coastal provinces and unacceptable in inland provinces ''

''It is more likely to be acceptable in coastal provinces and more likely to be unacceptable in inland provinces ''

If they are both wrong, can you please help correct it for me ? Thank you very much !

• e2efour

UK English
    Welcome to the English forum, ouwei! :)

The repetition of more likely to be seems to be completely unnecessary. It does not add anything to your first sentence, as far as I can tell.

ouwei

Chinese
    Welcome to the English forum, ouwei! :)

The repetition of more likely to be seems to be completely unnecessary. It does not add anything to your first sentence, as far as I can tell.
    Thank you very much for your quick reply! It is very helpful and I really appreciate that !

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'm afraid that both sentences confuse me, because the situation isn't clear. "It" (whatever it may be) is apparently likely to be acceptable in coastal provinces. That much is clear.

But is it likely unacceptable in inland provinces? In that case, I'd say:
    It is likely to be acceptable in coastal provinces and unacceptable in inland provinces.

Or is it simply more likely to be acceptable on the coast than inland? In that case, I'd say:
    It is more likely to be acceptable in coastal provinces than in inland provinces.

< Previous | Next >