It is often impossible to walk down the aisle, to get to the toilets, let alone to ta

< Previous | Next >

margo16

germany,german
It is often impossible to walk down the aisle, to get to the toilets, let alone to take exercise.
It is often impossible to walk down the aisle, get to the toilets, let(smb) alone to take exercise.

I met the sentences in the Internet
I feel both are correct but I would change the following:
let alone taking exercise(if 'let alone' means 'not to mention') otherwise they are correct.
Do you share my opinion?

"to' before let' was placed unintentionally.

• nunzilla

USA / English
    It is often impossible to walk down the aisle, to get to the toilets, to :cross: let alone to take exercise.
    It is often impossible to walk down the aisle, get to the toilets, let(smb) alone to :cross: take exercise.

I met the sentences in the Internet
    let alone taking exercise(if 'let alone' means 'not to mention') otherwise they are correct.
    Do you share my opinion?
    The first one is wrong, you need to lose the "to" I have indicated above. Even without the "to" it is awkward. The second is much better, but also has one "to" too many.

And yes, "let alone" means "not to mention" or "even more".

Nunzilla

Dimcl

Canadian English
    It is often impossible to walk down the aisle or to get to the toilets, to let alone to take exercise.
    It is often impossible to walk down the aisle, get to the toilets, let(smb) alone to take exercise.

I met saw these sentences in on the Internet
    Do you share my opinion?
    No, you shouldn't change it to "taking" exercise. That would be fine if you were using "walking" or "getting" but the forms should stay the same.

I disagree with Nunzilla about removal of "to take exercise". That is more of a BE phrase but is, I believe, a quite common idiom.

margo16

germany,german
    Dimcl, 'met' is appropriate, the sentences as well and
    I can easily not to insert 'or', right?
    It is often impossible to walk down the aisle, to get to the toilets, let alone to take exercise.

It is often impossible to walk down the aisle, get to the toilets, let alone to take exercise.

Both sentences are correct.I agree there is no need to use -ing.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Dimcl, 'met' is appropriate, the sentences, as well and
    I can easily not to insert 'or'
    It is often impossible to walk down the aisle, to get to the toilets, to let alone to take exercise.

It is often impossible to walk down the aisle, get to the toilets, let alone to take exercise.

Both sentences are correct.I agree there is no need to use -ing.
    Margo, I'm just trying to assist you. No native English-speaker would say that they "met" these sentences. And, no, neither of these sentences are correct, as both Nunzilla and I have indicated. "...to let alone to take exercise" is just plain incorrect. As well, the insertion of "or" before the reference to the toilets is necessary. If you don't wish to take the advice, that's entirely up to you.:)

margo16

germany,german
    Thank you, Dimcl. Yes, I'm not a native speaker but I like to delve into the language.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It is often impossible ...

What is often impossible?
    It must be either:
    ... to walk down the aisle to get to the toilets, ...
    (The purpose of walking down the aisle is to get to the toilets. These are not two different actions.)
    OR
    ... to walk down the aisle or to get to the toilets, ...
    (Here the walking down the aisle and the getting to the toilets are two different actions.)
    In either case, no comma is required after aisle.

... let alone to take exercise.

< Previous | Next >