it is okay ISH

annquis

spanish - mexico
I use to chat with a friend from UK, these days he is dealing with a personal trouble, when I ask him about how is it going, he says "It is okay ish". I thought this "ish" was a mistake for quick typing but he repeats the same phrase.
¿What does this phrase mean? I will thank any british speaker it seems like a regionalism. Thank you very much.

• The Newt

English - US
    It's not just used in the UK; we use it in the US as well. It's okay-ish, with a bit of a pause before the "ish." It's very informal.

annquis

spanish - mexico
    It's not just used in the UK; we use it in the US as well. It's okay-ish, with a bit of a pause before the "ish." It's very informal.
    And does it have a special meaning? Why would I say "it is okay ish" instead of only "it is okay"?

Alisterio

UK English
    If you say "It's OK", that means "Está bien". If you say "OK-ish", you are adding nuance to what you are saying: "más o menos bien". So, in other words, things are not great but they could be worse.

allende

Spanish (Spain)/Catalan
    If you say "It's OK", that means "Está bien". If you say "OK-ish", you are adding nuance to what you are saying: "más o menos bien". So, in other words, things are not great but they could be worse.
    Exacto. Otro ejemplo: It's blue = "es azul"; it's blueish (o bluish, creo que se usan los dos) = "es tirando a azul" o "azulado". ¡Se usa mucho!

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Exacto. Otro ejemplo: It's blue = "es azul"; it's blueish (o bluish, creo que se usan los dos) = "es tirando a azul" o "azulado". ¡Se usa mucho!
    Y si la persona te escribe "It's blue - ish" es como si en español pusieras "Es azul - ado", porque pensaste en azul, pero en realidad no era tan azul como tu primer impulso te hizo escribir. ¿Se entiende?

< Previous | Next >