It is reasonable to...

Wilma_Sweden

Swedish (Scania)
Context: Biodiversity is essential in park management. To create sustainable urban green spaces, it is reasonable to
involve ecology in strategic park management.

This is from an academic abstract, and I think the topic phrase is out of place and does not carry the intended meaning. What the author really meant, I am sure(*), was that it makes good sense to involve ecology etc. However, the author is not a native English speaker, and neither am I. I just feel that it's wrong in this context, and would prefer something like it's proper/makes sense. However, since the register is academic language, those phrases also look out of place in this particular context.

Do the native speakers agree with me, and if so, what suggestions would you make?

(*) I've seen the original version in Swedish, but this is English only, so you just have to take my word for it, OK? ;)

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi Wilma,

The expression "it is reasonable to + verb" is often found in a longer argument, in which the author is asserting something that may meet with resistance. It sounds a little odd in an abstract. I get the sense—from my subliminal parsing of the original Swedish, which I have not seen and most certainly would not understand a word of—that the original had the sense of "If green urban spaces are to be created in a manner that is sustainable, than one ought to involve ecology in park management early in the [whatever] process."

Of course I cringe at the buzzwordy strategic park management. Would that be "strategic" as in planning for years, or "strategic" as in "for the life of the current political regime that controls our budget", or "strategic" as in "It is now nine a.m. Where shall we have lunch this afternoon?"

Without access to the original, I would change the text in blue: it is reasonable important/necessary/prudent/sensible/obligatory to

Pick the one that best approximates the presence or lack of presence of a sense of urgency in the original.

e2efour

UK English
    This seems to be a case of choosing the wrong word, i.e. reasonable.

A better alternative would be "advisable" or "appropriate" (especially if the Swedish word began with the letter l!)

Wilma_Sweden

Swedish (Scania)
    I get the sense—from my subliminal parsing of the original Swedish, which I have not seen and most certainly would not understand a word of—that the original had the sense of "If green urban spaces are to be created in a manner that is sustainable, than one ought to involve ecology in park management early in the [whatever] process."
    Yes, that's the general idea.

Of course I cringe at the buzzwordy strategic park management. Would that be "strategic" as in planning for years, or "strategic" as in "for the life of the current political regime that controls our budget", or "strategic" as in "It is now nine a.m. Where shall we have lunch this afternoon?"
    I would assume that all the above time horizons are applied where applicable, such as decades ahead for tree-planting, and hours ahead for staff nutritional issues... :D

Without access to the original, I would change the text in blue: it is reasonable important/necessary/prudent/sensible/obligatory to

Pick the one that best approximates the presence or lack of presence of a sense of urgency in the original.
    Thank you, cuchuflete, these are all good. I particularly like prudent.

A better alternative would be "advisable" or "appropriate" (especially if the Swedish word began with the letter l!)
    There is no l in the original, the literal translation would be "there is [good] reason to..." which is more or less the same urgency as prudent, sensible or appropriate.

Thank you both for your input.

< Previous | Next >