it is scripture that’s formed the basis of laws and customs that govern gender equality

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Across the world, more and more Muslim women are fighting for gender equality. Scholars, political figures and activists are scrutinizing verses within the Quran that concern gender roles in Islam. Because in many cases, it is scripture that’s formed the basis of laws and customs that govern gender equality.
What Does It Mean To Be A Feminist In Islam?, YouTube video

Does it mean "the Quran has formed the basis of laws and customs that govern gender equality.", i.e., does the speaker say that the Quran promotes the ideas of gender equality?

Thanks.

EDIT: I think what the speaker really meant was rather "gender roles", since, according to the further context, she doesn't believe Muslim women are equal with Muslim men. So is it correct to use "gender equality" in this context?

Last edited:
  • Juhasz

English - United States
    There are feminist Muslims who believe the Quran promotes gender equality. But that's probably not what this author is claiming.

A law that "governs gender equality" might be a law that states: Men and women are not equal. I think your idea ("govern gender roles") is clearer, but the original is not incorrect.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    There are several meanings for the word govern:

to exercise a directing or restraining influence over; guide:the motives governing a decision.

Cf. The law governing gender equality

< Previous | Next >