It is ... since

azdi

Spanish
Good evening,
I am never sure if these two constructions mean the same or are ok: It is one year since we met and It is been one year since we met. Can you make it clear for me?
Thank you in advance

• LanguageUser1234

Banned
    English U.S.
    1. At least for me, "It is one year since we met" is incorrect. (It may be more acceptable in British English, although I don't think so.)

2. "It IS been one year since we met" is definitely incorrect. (I'm pretty sure that it's incorrect for all English speakers.)

2. The correct form is "It HAS been one year since we met."

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I don't find anything wrong with 'It's one year since we met', although it is certainly an informal way of expressing the idea.
    I agree that the second option is wrong.
    I also agree that 'It has/It's been one year....' is the most grammatically correct sentence. :)

Sprache

English/inglés
    I don't find anything wrong with 'It's one year since we met', although it is certainly an informal way of expressing the idea.
    I agree that the second option is wrong.
    I also agree that 'It has/It's been one year....' is the most grammatically correct sentence. :)
    Might this be a difference between American and British English? Because I have often heard British English speakers, and not just in informal settings, say "It's one year since..." and to me, an American English speaker, it sounds incorrect and I have never said it.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    You may be right and it is an AE/BrE difference. I do think it's fairly informal, more likely to be spoken than written.
    In any event, 'It's one year.....' and 'It's been one year.....' do mean the same :)

< Previous | Next >