It is those explorers, through their unceasing trial and

Julianus

Korean
Hello.

1a. It is those explorers, through their unceasing trial and error, who have paved the way for us to follow. (Korea university entrance exam)

I have learned about 'It + be + empathic words + that(who/which) ~' structure. In this sentence, I surely know that 'those explorers' is emphasized. But, since 'through their unceasing trial and error' is used with 'commas', I don't know whether 'through their unceasing trial and error' is being emphasized too. Is 'through their unceasing trial and error' being used as the meaning of emphasis here?

Thank you always~.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Through their unceasing trial and error" is set off by commas because it is a clause describing what the explorers did. One would also say:

The explorers, through their unceasing trial and error, paved the way for us to follow.

I don't think the use of commas is related to emphasis.

wandle

English - British
    1a. It is those explorers, through their unceasing trial and error, who have paved the way for us to follow.
    The word order here is not logical or precise.

If we start from the base sentence, 'Those explorers, through their unceasing trial and error, have paved the way for us to follow', we can see that 'through their unceasing trial and error' is an adverbial phrase which modifies the verb 'have paved'.

To create emphasis by using the formula 'It is ... who/that ...', there are two valid options close to the original:

(a) 'It is those explorers who, through their unceasing trial and error, have paved the way for us to follow';
    (b) 'It is through their unceasing trial and error that those explorers have paved the way for us to follow'.

The original sentence has mixed these options and produced an ungrammatical result where the adverbial phrase has become disconnected from its verb.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >