It is thus

< Previous | Next >

D D

Hindi
1. Agriculture experts reason that paddy in one acre consumes 60 lakh litres of water. It is thus the PAU has been demanding that only early maturing varities of paddy be used.
Hi everyone, what does " it is thus" mean in aforementioned sentence?
Does it mean "' this is the reason why" or therefore?

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    @Barque may be in a better position to answer this. My guess is that they meant “This is why” or “For this reason.” “It is thus” is not used this way in US English.

(“paddy in one acre” is also wrong in US English. “planting one paddy per acre”?)

Barque

Tamil
    Hi everyone, what does " it is thus" mean in aforementioned sentence?
    Does it mean "' this is the reason why" or therefore?
    You could take it as either. It isn't really Indian English - it's just unidiomatic writing.
    A one-acre paddy.
    You're thinking of the word meaning a rice field. The line in the OP uses it in its other meaning of unhusked rice.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    For me, adding “that” doesn’t make it correct. I think what bothers me is the use of “it is.” If it were just “thus,” it would be grammatical, although it may no longer express the intended meaning and would probably sound stilted.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    There's a difference, though, between "therefore" and "that's why."

"Therefore" introduces the information, as well as the cause-effect relationship, for the first time.
    In most cases, "that's why" assumes the reader already knows the information. What is being introduced is only the cause-effect relationship.

"That's why" can also be used if the information is new, but if the information is not new and the writer only wants to convey the cause-effect relationship, then "therefore" doesn't work, in my opinion.

< Previous | Next >