It is time for a settlement / doing some accounting / settling the accounts

wolfbm1

Polish
Hello.

I am writing a letter to some of the inheritors to a property. They live abroad and have not participated in the costs of the case. I would like to explain to them how much they owe and what is their net share. Here is an excerpt from my letter.

"The case of the determination of inheritors and the sale of the property are drawing to a close. The case in question generated some costs that affect us all. Because here, we covered your costs for the entire period in which the case progressed, it is now time for …………………………………………………………."

1. a settlement

2. doing some accounting

3. settling the accounts

I think that #3 is the best choice. Am I right?

Thank you.

• grassy

Polish
    I agree. However, the language you used there does not sound natural to me. In this type of writing phrases such as 'drawing to a close' or 'it is now time for' seem quite needless. It would be better if you were more direct.

wolfbm1

Polish
    I agree. However, the language you used there does not sound natural to me. In this type of writing phrases such as 'drawing to a close' or 'it is now time for' seem quite needless. It would be better if you were more direct.
    Thank you. I am also considering uses phrases like "doing the accounts" or "squaring the books."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    This sounds like a legal matter, so perhaps a lawyer should advise you about the wording of this letter. I don't think it's in your interests to sound casual about this. If I were the other party I might not take you seriously.

wolfbm1

Polish
    This sounds like a legal matter, so perhaps a lawyer should advise you about the wording of this letter. I don't think it's in your interests to sound casual about this. If I were the other party I might not take you seriously.
    Thank you. That's a good point. Yes it is quite a sensitive matter. Actually I am trying to translate a letter for someone else.

< Previous | Next >