It is uncanny how...

Valakas2

Spanish
Ok so i recently used Uncanny on a sentence and was told by some people that my use of the word was incorrect, but some other people said that it was correct.

So the sentence in question was:

"It is uncanny how unfunny this is"

and the meaning i wanted to convey with this sentence was:

"It is impossible to explain how unfunny this is"

I basically took the dictionary definition of the word and tried to use it on a sentence, was it wrong to do it? and if so, why?

Thanks in advance.

• Valakas2

Spanish
    Hola y bienvenido.
    Por favor explica qué quieres decir en español.
    Gracias.
    Realmente no estaba intentando decir nada en español, la conversación original fue en inglés y yo trato de pensar las cosas en inglés primero.

Realmente sería difícil traducir "uncanny" pero yo lo traduciría como "Es increíble lo malo que es este chiste" o algo similar.

Aguas Claras

UK English
    "Uncanny" quiere decir "extraño", "raro" o "difícil de explicar", pero a menudo con la idea de algo misterioso, sobrenatural, no humano, ... p.ej. "it's uncanny how he always knows what I'm going to say" o "I saw a man in the street who bore an uncanny resemblance to my brother".

Valakas2

Spanish
    "Uncanny" quiere decir "extraño", "raro" o "difícil de explicar", pero a menudo con la idea de algo misterioso, sobrenatural, no humano, ... p.ej. "it's uncanny how he always knows what I'm going to say" o "I saw a man in the street who bore an uncanny resemblance to my brother".
    Lo sé, esa justo la vibra que quería transmitir con lo que escribí, algo así como "This is so unfunny that is unnatural", así que tengo duda si mi frase fue gramatical y sintácticamente correcta, o tengo algun error.

Aguas Claras

UK English
    "Unfunny" doesn't exist as far as I know but I suppose you could invent it. What I really can't see is how a bad joke can be unnatural in the sense of paranormal, which is what "uncanny" means.

Valakas2

Spanish
    "Unfunny" doesn't exist as far as I know but I suppose you could invent it. What I really can't see is how a bad joke can be unnatural in the sense of paranormal, which is what "uncanny" means.
    "Unfunny" does exist:

unfunny

Also, i do understand that a bad joke can't be "paranormal", but my statement shouldn't be taken literally, i was making a joke, poking fun at a bad joke. So what i meant to say with my original statement was that the joke was so ridiculously unfunny, that it was unnatural, it was a pun.

Pokeflute

English - American
    "Uncanny" carries a sense of wrongness. Like there is something unnatural about it, often uncomfortable.

You'd use it more with appearances or things resembling other things they shouldn't (e.g. "it's uncanny how much he talks like you"). You wouldn't really use it ironically.