it is used for cutting meat/to cut meat

hedgy

Catalan
This is really silly but I need your help. I know that when you describe something you usually say:
It is used for cutting meat
You use it for cutting meat
that ok, use + FOR + Ving
but, you know, it is used to cut meat or you use it to cut meat, don't sound bad to me
I guess when I say FOR it means purpose. But why TO sounds correct to me?

• Mighis

Berber
    In which sense does "to" sound correct to you?

You use used to for something that used to happen regularly in the past but not any more.
    And we also regularly use to with a verb.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'For' is typically followed by a noun phrase indicating the function (you use it for a pillow, for a doorstop, for a back-scratcher), but usually a gerundial clause can go where a noun phrase can, so you can also use it for doing something. A clause beginning with 'to' can indicate purpose: To cut the meat up, I bought a new kitchen knife. The 'to'-clause can go before or after the main clause. The effect is, with 'use', both constructions can be used and they mean the same thing.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US

hedgy

Catalan
    sorry, I meant I liked very much cagey's advice to look at Gerund, infinitive: I use this pot <for cooking, to cook> pasta.
    I think it is a great example
    thank you to everybody anyway

Mighis

Berber
    Both "like" and "liked" can be used. The use of "liked" indicates more "when I read it" and "like" indicates the "now" aspect
    My bad!! :rolleyes:
    I assumed that "I liked.." indicates an action that happened in the past and no longer happens.

Thank you for correcting me. ;)

< Previous | Next >