Arabic
Hello:
Kindly :Can anybody Explaine To me The Following Sentence:
"It is used to indicate anteriority in relation to the Conjugated verb"

TIA...

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    "Anteriority" would refer to something's taking place before another.

The past perfect, for example, indicates anteriority in relation to the simple past.

I had watched the movie when my friend came over.

marget

I think it means that the action in the first expression happened before the action of the conjugated verb. "Après avoir fini mes devoirs, je suis sortie avec mes copains". "After I finished my homework, I went out with my firiends" The finishing of the homework happened before (was anterior to) the action of the conjugated verb, the "going out" or "je suis sortie."

If that doesn't help, can you provide an example of your own.

sarrah

Arabic
    So: If the above Note Correct
    Then is the following True:
    When the perfect (past) infinitive is used , it indicates that its action ( Occured before ) the action of the main ( Conjugated ) verb..
    or ( Accured at the time as ) or just ( Caused )

Thanks a Bunch Guys..

marget

So: If the above Note Correct
    Then is the following True:
    When the perfect (past) infinitive is used , it indicates that its action ( Occured before ) the action of the main ( Conjugated ) verb..
    or ( Accured at the time as ) or just ( Caused )Your first statement is true.

I can't say that your expressions "occurred at the same time as" or "caused" are true. Actually, they seem inaccurate to me, especially without examples.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    The perfect infinitive indicates anteriority in relation to the conjugated verb.

As Marget said, that would mean that the action expressed therein occurred before that of the main (conjugated) verb.

Neither simultaneousness nor causality can be assumed to be expressed.
    The former contradicts anteriority, and the latter is only possible depending on the context.

< Previous | Next >